29 December, 2005

Fifteen Things About Books meme

Lots of people are musing and reminiscing about this one. If I start that, I'll just go on and on, so here are 15 efficient, general things about books:

1. They smell fantastic, whether they're new or old. Except some picture books that are bound with a foul glue. Oh, and those Scratch'n'Sniff books.

2. They are the easiest medium in which children and young adults can 'just say no' to whatever they're reading if they're not ready for it. Can they walk out of a confronting movie that they're seeing with their friends? No, but they can close a book and mutter, 'It's boring' and put it aside until, if ever, they're ready for it.

3. The good ones offer you up different experiences every time you read them.

4. I could not travel without a book, even if it stayed in my bag for the whole journey. I need to know it is there.

5. I couldn't live in a house without books. When I visit a house where there are no, or few, books, I can't work out what's wrong with the place until...'Ah, empty walls! Only the TV! I get it.'

6. There are these great places called public libraries, and if you live near a good one (such as Leichhardt), you can solve a lot of cash and storage problems by getting your books from there.

7. My mother is a retired librarian. The father of my children is a book designer. And some of my best friends are books.

8. Books are sooooooooo much slower to write than to read! This is frustrating for both writer and reader.

9. The Internet is great for quick research, but when you want to know something deeply, you go to a book. Or several.

10. Books are too expensive in Australia, because of the Goods and Services Tax that we were promised would never happen. So see point 6 and borrow like crazy, so that authors can make a living from Public Lending Right.

11. Book editors, whether freelance or in-house, like teachers, are not paid enough. Freelance book editing is not a glamorous job, no matter what the movies tell you.

12. Books are good company when everyone else in the house is asleep and you need some intelligent conversation. That said, sometimes, even in a house full of books, you can't quite find the book to feed the particular needs of your soul at a particular time.

13. Seven hundred and something books were entered in the NSW Literary Awards this year. !!!

14. If I were wealthy, beautiful books (and places to store them without harming them) would be my indulgence.

15. Books ROCK! (Oops, I think Sharyn November just snuck onto my blog.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Among Amid While said...

Yes, "Books are OK, I guess, if you like that sort of thing..."

30 December, 2005 10:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home