11 January, 2009

Right. Time to update. Black Juice first.

Avert your eyes, Justine, much reviewish stuff coming. This blog is where I keep track of them, so feel free to check back later once I'm done.

It's been a busy couple of weeks, in which there was a lot of Christmas and New Year family-ising and imbibery, but now I've been back at work for a week and can catch my breath and perhaps even rub two of my very own thoughts together.

Let's start with Black Juice. Here's a review from Lucy Sussex in Overland—quite an old review. They must have just put their 2007 issues up online. It sounds a bit sour, to me: 'Some literati who would otherwise eschew Australian fantasy writing are thus forced to accept the fact of overseas validation. They thus read Lanagan and pronounce her "good", in much the same way as they read Rowling.'

Next, a nice review from 'Nancy' over at Goodreads:
Indeed, each story in this collection is richly described, dark and disturbing. Almost too dark to be shelved with books for “Young People”, but what do I know? ... I will definitely read more by this author…later. Right now I’m emotionally drained.
Kristin Cashore, author of Graceling, recommends BJ as a 'great book'. She says: 'I never read short stories, but these ones hooked me. Margo Lanagan has an EXCELLENT BRAIN'. Which is encouraging, when my brain has been feeling a bit like slightly off minestrone for the past three months or so.

5 Comments:

Blogger Penni Russon said...

I read that Overland review twice and I'm still not sure if she liked red spikes or not.
My capcha is "I nag sand"

11 January, 2009 12:40  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

I nag sand? Wha? But I agree, it all sounds a bit non-committal.

11 January, 2009 14:27  
Blogger Greg G said...

That bit about being "forced to accept" begs for a "citation needed" tag. What does it even mean?

And I've never seen any literati shy away from being critical of Rowling. Quite the reverse, really.

11 January, 2009 15:30  
Blogger Penni Russon said...

You know the word verification thingy that proves I'm not a robot of doom. Or a robot of spam. 'I nag sand.' It seems a rather zen thing to do. Or not to do. Or something.

11 January, 2009 18:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margo,

I'm so thrilled to have discovered a new favorite writer, and very surprised (and flattered), to see my Goodreads review quoted here.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Red Spikes and Tender Morsels is waiting at the library.

Many thanks for your wonderful stories. I'm looking forward to reading more.

It would be great to see you on Goodreads!

Cheers,
Nancy

14 January, 2009 11:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home