15 February, 2010

Upcoming appearances (besides Wellington)

I will be live on ABC Radio, talking about the upcoming Wellington Festival, on Saturday morning, 27 Feb—details when I know them.

I'll be giving a lecture that's open to the public on Wednesday, 3 March, at the University of Canberra, as part of the Faculty of Arts and Design’s Art, and other Questions lecture series—some of the uni's Bachelor of Writing students will also be in attendance. I am told that I'll discuss my creative process and the realities of life as an award winning writer. Which will take about three minutes (joking, Tony!), so there'll be plenty of time for questions and answers or just, you know, general heckling, dodging of shoes and the like.

Over here is an interview I did with the NSW Writers' Centre to drum up business for the workshop 'Blood, Boggarts and Battlestars: An Introduction to Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Writing', which I'm running over there on Saturday, 6 March, to which Sydneysiders and anyone prepared to commute is very welcome.
Come and dig around in the three genres that make up spec fic today: science fiction, fantasy and horror. You can go anywhere in science fiction; just ask Margaret Atwood. And fantasy will take you places you only ever dreamed of; Stephanie Meyer will tell you that. As for horror, there are no holds barred there; learn to turn readers' stomachs along with the darkest of dark Palahniuk.
It'll be six hours of stimulation and hard work, and I can pretty much guarantee we'll all be exhausted (and, I hope, exhilarated!) at the end of it. Details on the NSWWC website.

[Insert 2 weeks in New Zealand here.]

At the end of April, I'll be doing a couple of things for the Northern Rivers Writers' Centre. The first is some SuperSessions on YA fiction on Wednesday, 5 May. They say:
If you’re writing YA fiction, or planning to, this is a not-to-be-missed opportunity. Submit a short sample of your work, a first chapter of your manuscript or a story outline, and book in for a consultation to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your project.
Participants will get 40 minutes of consultation apiece.

Then the next day (Thursday, 6 May), there's 'Twist in the Tale', a masterclass on short story writing:
The short story is a strange and intense beast. Yes, it’s a great place to rehearse for the long haul of the novel, but it’s also its own creature. In this masterclass, Margo will explore the balance between Keeping It Simple (and Keeping Yourself Sane) and the layering, meaning-multiplying and reverberation-creation that make shorts such powerful shots of story. There will be structured writing exercises, and a critiquing session based on pre-reading of work from each member of the class.
Details on the Centre's website.

A seemingly loooong way off, but it'll probably pounce on me sooner than expected, is the other NSW Writers' Centre marathon, 'Less is More—Writing Short Stories' on Saturday, 19 June. More about that closer to the time.

Tansy Rayner Roberts has also included me in her clutch of snapshotted authors, which is part of a move to pin down any Australian spec fic author who's still capable of moving and get them to cough up a few truisms, prior to Aussiecon 4—details are here.

Yes, so. Busy. (And a wee bit nervous.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Three minutes? Crap! I only had you down for two... Guess I'll have to cut something out of my introduction...

16 February, 2010 11:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh don't be nervous Margo! I did my Bachelor of Professional Writing at the University of Canberra and it was wonderful - an amazing hands-on course and all our lecturers/tutors were really down-to-earth...I'm actually in Canberra at the moment so I'll have to attempt to hop along on March 3 - YAY.

Do you know yet what time its on??

And I didn't have much to do with Tony, but I'm guessing you mean Tony Shirato/ Schirato (spelling?). He seemed absolutely crazy! But very interesting and probably entirely TOO charismatic/talented had I been in one of his classes.

18 February, 2010 13:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm an idiot. You obviously meant the Tony that replied to this message. (duh).

18 February, 2010 13:47  
Blogger Sarah St Vincent Welch said...

I'm coming! You have been put in the really big theatre Margot - so we expect a crowd. Loved Tender Morsels.
Sarah

01 March, 2010 07:19  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Oh, way to terrify me, Sarah. :D

01 March, 2010 07:45  
Blogger Sajjad said...

Very good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, Wellington Tutoring helpful information.

25 July, 2020 17:58  
Blogger Tutors in USA said...

Thanks for excellent blog.I'm happy to find useful blog share in my friends. Palm Beach Tutoring THANK YOU

27 July, 2020 17:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home