16 December, 2006

Australian review of Red Spikes

Terry Dowling has devoted a whole column in today's Weekend Australian to a review of Red Spikes. What's more, it's online, which saves me the bother of typing out the highlights for you. What's missing from the online version is the heading in the newspaper: A test for your grip on reality.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha.

Oh, OK, here's the main thrust of it:
There are no instant classics in this line-up but there are memorable offerings and a fine cumulative effect. What the stories lack in strongly developed plots they make up for with close observation, stylish signature flourishes and downright charm. Most important, the reader comes away from Red Spikes knowing that Lanagan, like every really good writer, is set on shaking the storytelling tree.
Yes, and I'm hoping that the next thing to fall from the tree will be about bunya-nut size.

(Photo by Cat Sparks.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob Gerrand said...

Hi Margo
I'm halfway through Red Spikes - I'm rationing myself so that I don't gobble down your stories too quickly. They are wonderful, sensationally good. I just love your writing.
Rob Gerrand

06 January, 2007 18:32  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Thank you, Rob! It's really kind of you to drop by and say so. Best, Margo.

06 January, 2007 21:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home