01 August, 2008

Melbourne bound

Not for a while, but people are starting to talk about the Melbourne Writers Festival, and books by fellow panellists are turning up in rather wonderful quantities. I'll be on the following panels—the first on the adult program (but talking all about children's books), the other four on the schools programs
  • Other Worlds (24 August, 4.15pm - 5.15pm, Australian Centre for the Moving Image Cinema 2): Robert Muchamore, Melina Marchetta and Margo Lanagan are all masters at creating fictional worlds in which children can lose themselves. What are the key ingredients that make these fictional worlds so appealing to children and young adults?

  • Myths with a twist (25 August, 11.15am - 12.00pm, ACMI Cinema 2, AND 27 August, 10.00am - 10.45am, same venue) Do fantasy writers avoid reality, or confront it more directly? Are stories with magic in them just a matter of make-believe and play, or do they say serious things? What happens when you allow orcs, ogres and weather-workers into your written world? Margo Lanagan is the award-winning author of many books, including Black Juice, while Penni Russon’s earlier books for young adults include the popular fantasy titles Undine, Breathe and Drift.

  • DIY Culture: blogging isn't writing is it? (26 August, 12.30pm - 1.15pm, ACMI Cinema 2) Is blogging changing the face of culture? How can you blog best? Learn from these two experts from the blogosphere! Lili Wilkinson manages www.insideadog.com.au, a highly acclaimed website for teenagers about books,and blogs about books at www.thinkingsofalili.blogspot.com. Whilst Margo Lanagan blogs about all things at www.amongamidwhile.blogspot.com.

  • Writers who read, readers who write (27 August, 12.30pm - 1.15pm, BMW Edge Theatre) Join John Marsden, Margo Lanagan and Lili Wilkinson as they speak about the books they’ve loved over the years. Each writer will discuss the books and writers that have helped to shape their style, themes and careers as writers.
Oh, I so wish I was going to be at the bank instead that week!

Yes, I jest. I've escaped from the bank this very afternoon. On Monday I have to turn up at the Downing Centre and try to get out of being on jury duty for a six-week criminal trial. If I whinge loud enough, and show them my MWF program and contractual obligations, they might relent and put me on a week-long or fortnight-long trial instead, is what I'm hoping.

But for now, the weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

Duly warned. ;)

02 August, 2008 00:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What free books? I ain't got none...

Look forwards to meeting you on the 24th!

02 August, 2008 00:13  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Yeah, look out, Tess, for the glow of literary luminescence over Fed Square. :)

Really, Robert? I have your The General and all, not to mention the two other Cherubs I just bought my son Harry. I will be Muchamore'd up to the gills by the time I meet you!

02 August, 2008 18:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the irony.

I'm in the UK, but they printed early in Australia to coincide with my tour.

You've got The General before me!

04 August, 2008 03:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home