06 March, 2012

Beijing appearances


Yes, I've fallen out of Adelaide Writers' Week, all dazzled by the sunshine and glory, and straight into frantic preparations for Australian Writers' Week in Beijing. Here's what I'll be doing:
  • giving a speech at an International Women's Day breakfast
  • going on a panel with Janette Turner Hospital and Ouyang Yu about "Storytelling on the world stage", at Renmin University (Tuesday 13 March at 3.30pm)
  • panelising with Mark McKenna and Maria Tumarkin about "Real and imagined worlds: the impetus of story" at Tsinghua University (Wednesday 14 March at 1.30pm)
  • talking about "Desire, despair and transformation" with Janette Turner Hospital at the Bookworm Literary Festival (Thursday 15 March at 5.15pm)
  • visiting a school with the Bookworm migrant schools program
  • visiting students at the Western Academy.
Also, walking on the Great Wall. And generally crawling all over Beijing looking at things, possibly in the snow—apparently spring is late this year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonnee Crawford said...

I went to China once... never made it to Beijing. My group was quarantined in Shanghai because someone on our plane had swine flu. I sincerely hope your trip is more successful than mine was. Have an awesome time! :)

06 March, 2012 22:10  
Blogger Sean Wright said...

Ni Hoa Ma Margo

10 March, 2012 16:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Culinary tip: if at any point you see a live snake in the chef's hands and the chef isn't screaming, seek out another restaurant.

... Hmm, this advice needn't even be restricted to China.

13 March, 2012 00:39  
Blogger Andrea Eames said...

Just wanted to stop by and say that Tender Morsels is one of the best books I've read in ages - I just loved it! I'm a novelist too (with Random House) and I found it so inspiring. Thank you.

Andrea x

03 April, 2012 02:26  
Blogger Gemma Mortlock said...

Hi Margo,
I can't seem to find an email address to contact you on so i'll post my query here.
I was just wondering if you used reference books for the details of Selkies in your novel and if so what books were they? I can't seem to find any good reference books on selkie folklore or tales anywhere and im getting a little stumped. I hope you can help?
Best wishes
Gem

13 April, 2012 21:30  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Gem, I didn't use a lot of reference books, but the main ones were Horace Beck's Folklore and the Sea, and David Thomson's The People of the Sea. Your basic selkie story is fairly straightforward, and can be found on the Internet at sites like Orkneyjar. Best, Margo.

14 April, 2012 09:13  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Andrea: Thank you for dropping by and commenting. I'm delighted that Tender Morsels worked for you. :)

14 April, 2012 09:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home