09 July, 2007

The week stretches ahead

And here is a snippet (with a lot of snippings in it) from deep in this novel's bowels...
Urdda could no longer watch the words issue from that calm beloved mouth. She wanted to hear no more, but she had begun this telling, and she knew she would not rest until she had heard it to the end. She took up the shears, and some funeral velvet and bride-sister white that had been pushed by her mother's work to her side of the table, and she snipped small pieces off them, so small that the snippings fell as little more than dust to her lap. The snipping stopped her hands from shaking, and with them the rest of her body. Their slish-slish through the cloth was a calm, mechanical sound behind the other, her mother's voice building a tower, a tower of unspeakable creatures, like kinds of loathsome frogs that had agreed somehow to fit together, to balance and cling to each other and become this structure, however much their instinct was to slide, to ooze, to spring away.
Now I'm about halfway through revising the climactic scene (actually, it contains 25 climaxes); then I just have to kill off one heroine, marry off another and send the third one off to pursue her career in magic.

Oh yes, and revise chapters 1 to 9 to match what I've done in 10 to 12.

Piece of cake.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margo

Your blog is a glimpse into a whole nother world - well, several of them actually.

How do you pronounce Urdda?

10 July, 2007 09:45  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Jim! I stole Urdda from the name of a Romanian cheese, which was spelt 'Urda'. I don't know how Romanians would pronounce it, or the added 'd', but I tend to say it straight, and think of it with a slightly rolled 'r' and a slightly emphasised 'd'—probably the way a Scot would say it.

PS Are you the ACL Jim Woulfe or a different Jim Woulfe?

10 July, 2007 10:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Jim Woulfe formerly associated with ACL. There aren't that many of us around, and even fewer that give a second thought to pronunciation.

I was wondering if you had a Welsh dd in mind, which I believe is like a soft th. Important, I thought, because it would give her vaguely druidical associations (and there's so little in a snippet to go on - I had to read it for every fine detail I could get).

I'm pretty sure that in Romanian the r would be rolled.

10 July, 2007 22:55  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12 July, 2007 08:24  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Yes, I'm not exactly trying to avoid Welsh flavours, either. But I also want the story to stay slightly unpindownably European, to happen in Fairy-Tale Land—I want it to feel real but not nationally too specific.

12 July, 2007 19:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home