07 August, 2007

THE END of the novel

Well, the 117,000 words of Tender Morsels is currently printing out for its final check before being sent off via Allen & Unwin to all four publishers (Aus, US, UK and German) for editing—this feels like a cross between sending someone into a dark alley to be beaten up, and sending them into a brightly lit operating theatre where they will be carefully dismembered. But it's okay, I think I can manage to keep myself intact throughout the process.

And seeing as I didn't expect to be at this point even by December this year, or possibly ever again (thank you, Jan and Lee and the WOW weekenders!), I'm allowed to take a moment to feel hugely relieved, I think. (Before I rush off to finish those overdue short stories—oops!)

And to celebrate with a spot of colour, here is a photo, one of many by Ione Rucquoi, that partly captures the feeling of the book. Go, Muddy Annie, out into the world!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cat Sparks said...

Muddy Annie, huh? May I be the first to officially say... EEK!

Congratulations on 117k. I hate you. I have at least 40k to go and mine's just a first draft!

07 August, 2007 16:54  
Blogger TansyRR said...

Whoa, the little novel that grew! We *told* you it needed to be longer!

mmm, hot men dressed up as bears...

07 August, 2007 22:21  
Blogger Amy Fiske said...

Go you! That's HUGE - both the length and the accomplishment.

I can't wait to get my hands on it...

08 August, 2007 01:47  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

40K is only four weekends' worth for you, Cat. I'll be ready with the sav blanc in September!

Tansy, he's even hotter now - I had to make him younger when I stuffed up the time-slippage.

Amy, it's out the door now, so officially on its way to you! Via the labyrinth of the publishing process.

08 August, 2007 14:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Margo - all the best with it. I look forward to reading it.

17 August, 2007 10:17  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Thanks, Jim - I have word from A&U that no major changes are needed, so fingers crossed the OS publishers agree!

17 August, 2007 21:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home