13 June, 2008

Shake in your boots, ye critics.

Here's Paul Abbamondi, over at MyLifeComics:
“The Goosle” by Margo Lanagan is a disturbing followup to the classic tale of Hansel and Gretel. To be honest, I’m a wee bit nervous to be reviewing her piece. I’ve seen her reactions to other reviews, reviews that I thought were fairly glowing and well-meant, and she comes across as very unsatisfied. Either way, “The Goosle” has a lot of creepy things in it: acts of cannibalism, sexual slavery, dirt for lunch, witchcraft, and abuse galore. It’s told from the perspective of a young boy, which makes everything happening more intense, and the outcome completely surprised me. It was great, viscous and unrelenting to the end, with strong images like the mudwife’s house and the stars in the sky. The story is still quite clear in my mind. Truth be told, it was the first one I read when I got the book.
Hm, I'm surprised he found it viscous—I thought it flowed along at quite a clip. Snrch. Apart from that, there's nothing to be unsatisfied with in that review...so what's a cranky ould witch to do with herself?

*pulls wings off a few flies*

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Moorhead said...

Consider the sentence "viscous" is in - great, viscous, unrelenting...and I get what he is saying and it is not a slight. The story - in the same manner of a lot of your stories - pulls you so deeply into the world you have created that when you finish - you have to step out of the story back into the real world. It's not a matter of flow, it's a matter of being sucked into the story :)

16 June, 2008 06:02  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Oh, I don't think it's a slight, either - I was being tongue-in-cheek. I'm pretty sure he meant 'vicious' and just typed it wrong. 'Viscous: having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.'

16 June, 2008 06:10  
Blogger Susan Moorhead said...

That's so funny, I didn't consider that it was a possible typo - just read it literally as viscous - as in the story is, well, thick and sticky, but in a good way!

16 June, 2008 07:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home