24 July, 2006

Weekend

The panel at NSW Writers' Centre was good—heaps of people, a good mix of the silly and the serious. We really got that sex and swearing stuff done and dusted. And they do a good pie there, too. I promised I wouldn't buy any books, so instead I bought a picture of a dragon, by Gabriel Hooper, also a mini-man made by him.

The 18th birthday was a bit of a non-event for the terrible old daggy family. Peaceful, though. :) And Jack survived all his celebrating without injury, I'm happy to be able to report.

Saturday I dutifully lay on the bed and read—OK, I snoozed a bit, but only in preparation for watching the live telecast of the Tour de France. Anyway, I finished Scott Westerfeld's The Last Days, sequel to Peeps—very cool and understated vampires, and Scott almost, almost got past my ongoing doubtfulness about books that feature lots of music performances. I haven't read Peeps yet, so I kind of only had a fingernail-hold on these vampires and what caused them and what that worm was about, but that was very close to my ideal degree of ignorance-of-what's-happening, so that was good. A noice dark read.

Now I'm on to Kenneth Oppel's Airborn, which has a very Dinotopia feel, only it's got...some other kind of creature, instead of dinosaurs. Good fun with added hybrium.

Sunday was: A bike ride down to Captain Cook Bridge and back in cool but clear weather; a drive to Maroubra and 2 hours' work in the car while Harry and Max surfed; then several hours at Lynne's welcoming Jen back from Finland. Good fun.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margo, excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean in your heading about 'all those ST's' - I'm kind of literal and it is probably obvious but I don't get it...I have a question. When you post a blog do you do it mainly for yourself or for the interest of who might be reading your blog? Do you see it as a marketing tool, or more as a kind of journaling? Just curious, my blog is a bit all over the place and I'm not sure where to set the boundaries...cheers, me again, delwyne

25 July, 2006 17:35  
Blogger E said...

Hi Margo, if you're interested in dark reads, I have a friend who writes this fictional blog... you might find it interesting if you're interested in what teenagers write about. The last one he wrote was a gothic fairytale about vampires. http://soullesswanderings.spaces.msn.com/
Anyway, I think he can write. Maybe that's enough to make you curious? Your life sounds very pleasant and full. If busy.

26 July, 2006 15:42  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Delwyne, Sorry it took so long to respond. The STs are the letters on the end of amongST, amidST, whilST, of which I disapprove, and I urge anyone who asks for writing advice to use 'among', 'amid' and 'while' instead.

I mainly put up a blog entry to let people know I'm alive still. The entries I did over at 'Inside A Dog' while I was travelling earlier this year were more for myself - strangely, because as a guest blogger I should perhaps have been thinking more of my audience, but I was doing such unwriterly things they just came out that way. Now that I'm back, I try and keep it to more book-related things - although Jack's 18th birthday seemed like a milestone I should mark here!

Thanks, Eleanor, for the link. I've bookmarked it, being up to my ears in duty-reading at the moment.

09 August, 2006 18:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home