12 January, 2006

Items now forbidden in YA fiction

I'm coming to the end of reading for the Ethel Turner prize, the young adult section of the NSW Literary Awards. I have to inform you that the following things are no longer permitted in Australian YA fiction:

  • the word 'munch' and all its variants
  • characters named 'the General' unless they are actual generals in the armed forces
  • lists of any kind - no, not even to-do lists! None. No more lists. Everyone is over list-making, either as action or as content, all right?

I could go on - for example, the words 'splattered' and 'splodge', characters whose only identifiable trait is that they are vegan - but I've got to get through another novel tonight.


Blogger chance said...

characters named 'the General' unless they are actual generals in the armed forces

Oh my this made me laugh. (And I am a wee bit scared that you needed to make a rule about that. :) )

13 January, 2006 01:59  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

It IS scary - especially as I'm sure I've read this rule somewhere else before.

13 January, 2006 08:44  
Blogger Susan said...

What about 'the Captain' I can't tell you how many times I've bumped into him!

13 January, 2006 09:33  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Yep, he can go too. Although he didn't turn up in this year's entries except as a real captain, of a ship. Which is OK...for the moment. And as long as he doesn't turn out to have a sensitive side. I am very sick of initially-intimidating characters gradually revealing their hearts of gold/secret-understandable-reasons-for-being-so-intimidating.

13 January, 2006 09:45  
Blogger Lee said...

And please please the word 'feral', both in YA novels and in reviews of them!

15 January, 2006 20:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home