29 August, 2008

Poor Tyler, 15

No one should force teens to read books.
Margo Lanagan, well known short story author, should stick to short stories. This novel is a collection of short stories in chronological fashion set in the same world. The attempt at a novel created parts that were slow and unnecessary as well as the most boring plotline on the planet. The last few chapters were excellent but that was it. Nominate? No. 1Q How did it get published? 1P Yech! Forced to read it. Tyler, 15
Geez, I tried, Tyler. If lashings of good and bad sex, witchcraft, time-slippage and people-turning-into-bears are too boring, I don't know what else I can add that will lift Tender Morsels for you.

Hoot!

4 Comments:

Blogger Farah said...

You *were* unlucky. Tyler, 15, found Herbie Brennan's book--meant for 11 yr olds--too complex.

29 August, 2008 16:30  
Blogger J.C. Tabler said...

I say Tyler, 15, should be forced to read. Regularly. With his eyelids taped open, and trained monkeys pinching the "tender morsels".

Of course, I believe that about anyone who possibly prefers hours of the boob tube to a good book. So I'm not really sure if this is an appropriate response to your review...

30 August, 2008 01:31  
Blogger Jacques Fuentealba said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

31 August, 2008 03:00  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Yes, I suppose I should have qualified that. Teenagers should be encouraged to read, in that we should keep throwing possible things-they'd-like their way. I still don't know about forcing ... oh, all right, then, bring on the eye-tape and the monkeys! That's just too irresistible a picture. It makes me cringe to think they'd be forced to read a book of mine that they weren't enjoying, though.

01 September, 2008 17:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home