24 February, 2009

Not a comfy read

Jeanette on her blog A Comfy Chair and a Good Book, says of Tender Morsels (emphasis Jeanette's):
I heard so much praise about this book that I was very eager to read it. Unfortunately, this book turned out to be one that I did not enjoy at all and really probably should have stopped reading.
Tender Morsels takes the story of Snow White and Rose Red and turns it into something crude and grotesque. Child molestation, and gang rape against both male and female characters are just two examples of the events that left me feeling sick after reading. Pretty much all of the male characters could think of nothing but getting into the pants or skirts of women and I had to read about it over and over and over again. I got tired of reading about all these horny guys and bears. Yes, bears.
I've read so much praise describing this book as beautiful and moving but I found nothing beautiful at all and the story just grew tedious the more I read.
A book that is loved by many but that I found disturbing and uncomfortable to read.
I gather from the stork and countdown that there is a baby on the way—no, probably TM isn't a novel to read when you're pregnant.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I'd like to know how THAT book got into Utah, and what's the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doing about it! Yeah.

25 February, 2009 14:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh turned Snow White INTO something crude and grotesque. Well so the original version with murder and poisonings is far more acceptable. Duh!

Keith

27 February, 2009 12:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "grotesque" was necessary to the major themes and plot of the story

23 March, 2009 13:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home